Monday 12 January 2015

When I grow up I want to be a Stormtrooper...

Firstly, Happy New Year!  I've been really slack with this I realise.  I haven't done any nail art for quite some time and my stash sits mostly unloved in the spare bedroom for now.  I've had so many other things taking up my time and family has had to come first.

Now, on to what I have been up to.....

As per my last post waaaay back in April you know I am a huge, huge fan of Star Wars. Over the years I've had various bits and pieces kicking around the house from AT-AT's to lightsabers but the one thing I've always wanted was to be a Stormtrooper.  I was fortunate enough to marry a man who also loved Star Wars and also was quite tolerant of the fact I sometimes came out with random ideas and last year I announced I wanted to join the 501st Legion.
The 501st, in a nutshell, is an organised, worldwide group of Star Wars costumers dedicated to promoting interest in Star Wars.  Their costumes are always movie accurate and their meetings, or troops as they are known, are always done for charity.  The legion appears in childrens wards as well.  If you want them, request an appearance

At the end of November my husband took me to rspropmasters in Stockport where I spent an hour with a cuppa and a jaw dragging on the floor.  I came away with 2 large boxes....my very own armour!

Assembling insnt as easy as 'take it out and pop it on', it requires lots of work to assemble the kit.  We started on the helmet....

The start of my helmet, no eyes or teeth cut yet!

Not longer after I'd started I noticed my husband had been spending rather a lot of time on eBay with the search strings 'Biker Scout' and 'Scout Trooper'.  He admitted he'd always wanted to be a Biker Scout.  By the end of December we had more boxes in the dining room and yet more kit to assemble...

One becomes two...


By the time January rolled around we had 2 completed helmets.  Have to say the build has been great fun.  Husband and I have spent many evenings and weekends with the Dremmel building (slowly) the kits so they appear as screen accurate as possible.

I'm hoping to carry on documenting our build on here and hope to have both costumes completed and approved the 501st by Easter.  Watch this space....

No comments:

Post a Comment